We are a little over 2 weeks away from beginning summer band camp with all of our high school band students. Band camp is mandatory for all P-THS band students. This time will allow us to work on marching fundamentals and drill, get music well prepared before the school year begins, and become a cohesive unit working together to achieve success. Please read through this list thoroughly to make sure you know what is needed for camp.
1. COME TO CAMP WITH YOUR MUSIC PREPARED! You have been given music and sound files have been made available on this site for you to use. Remember, every single member plays a role and we are all counting on each other to do our jobs. Make it a priority to be prepared. IF YOU NEED MUSIC, GO TO THE DOWNLOADS PAGE AND PRINT YOUR PARTS! The password is: ptband
2. Try to have as much of music memorized as possible. The sooner it is memorized, the easier it will be for you as we go through marching season. Music that needs to be memorized is: Victory March, Paul Simon Opener, Late in the Evening, and Paul Simon Closer. How do you memorize music? Play small sections at a time, first with music and then without. Once you can play it several times from memory, move on to the next section. Then, go back and put it all together. You will not immediate success overnight or even after a couple of days. IT WILL TAKE TIME. If you try to play it from beginning to end all the way through and memorize it, you will quickly realize that doesn't work. Small amounts, every day. Make it happen. Use the recordings online to help with the process.
3. Items you need EVERY day at camp:
- instrument, reeds, valve oil, etc.
- flip folder
- lyre for your instrument
- BRING WATER in an insulated jug!!!! ( We will be outside every morning!)
- sunscreen, sunglasses, hat (outdoors only)
- You have an hour lunch break every day. Either bring lunch with you or make plans accordingly. Students will be on their own during this time.
- TENNIS SHOES!! This is an absolute must in order to march correctly and safely. No boots, flip flops, or sandals (Exception: A hiking type of sandal with a heel strap and the sole is flexible like an athletic shoe: Chacos, Keens, etc. However, be aware that there might be stickers in the grass that could get in the shoe.) STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO MARCH WITHOUT THE PROPER FOOTWEAR! My advice is to make sure they are old shoes as they will get dirty and wet. We have shelving to place shoes on so that students can leave them after rehearsals. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE SHOES TO BE LEFT IN INSTRUMENT LOCKERS!
- Wear appropriate clothing. The school dress code will be in effect.
- Whatever items are needed for fun activities at the conclusion of each day.
- A GREAT ATTITUDE!!
4. Make sure you have cleared ALL dates and times on your calendar, including away football games! We look forward to seeing you soon and starting off a great year together!
5. Make sure you are familiar with the band camp schedule. There have been changes from what was originally sent out. We encourage everyone to attend all of our fun activities, but they are not mandatory. The activities are what make camp really fun and you get to know everyone even better!