Below you will find the band camp newsletter which will have a lot of valuable information in it. Please take the time to mark dates, times, uniform check-out, etc., on your calendars. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You may do so through my school email or you may text me. My cell number is in the newsletter. I look forward to seeing everyone soon!
I hope everyone has had a great summer so far! We start our 2018 Summer Band Camp very soon! Here is a summarized version of what that schedule will look like.
July 30 - August 2 (mornings only): Color Guard and All Percussion
August 1 - August 2 (afternoons): All student leadership
August 3 (morning only): All leadership and new members (Marching Fundamentals)
August 6 - 10 (all day): Full Band Camp
August 13: Freshman Camp for all HS Freshmen (Band will perform at the beginning. Band camp will be from 1-3 p.m.)
August 14 (all day): Full Band Camp
August 15-17 (mornings only): Full Band Camp
***I will be sending out more specific times within the next couple of days. There are still a few details I am trying to iron out.
***FOOTBALL PLAYERS: You will need to plan to go straight from football practice to band practice on the mornings that there may be some overlapping of schedules. If need to clean up, please do so at the field house. You will not have time to go home and then come back. Please plan accordingly!!
***SOFTBALL PLAYERS AND CHEERLEADERS: I know we will have some conflicts with times and dates. Please COMMUNICATE with me and I will work with you.
***EVERYONE is required to be at band camp for every rehearsal. I understand things come up, but please plan ahead as you have been given these dates well in advance. Again, communication is very important! If you have any issues, you need to contact me directly! Please do not tell someone else to relay your situation to me. That makes things easier on everyone.
***SOUND FILES: Recordings for all marching contest show songs and the majority of the pep band songs are available under the "Sound Files" tab. Use these to your advantage! Coming to camp prepared on your music makes things MUCH easier on everyone! :-) Reminder: You need to have Notre Dame Victory March and all four Stevie Wonder songs memorized!!
***PRINT MUSIC: On the
I just wanted to remind everyone of some upcoming dates.
1. April 26, Thursday
4. April 30, Monday
Color Guard Auditions - We are looking at the last week of April. More information will be coming soon.
Have a great day!
Scale Test #2
The next scale test is due by Friday, February 23. Students must either submit a VIDEO recording of them playing the scales or they can play for me in person. If you do not have access to a video recording device, you may borrow mine before school or during excel OR you can play for me in person during those times. Scales to be played are Concert G, D, A, and E. Scales will be graded according to the performance criteria given to you in your handbook. Each scale is worth 10 points each. I must receive or have heard all tests by the end of the day on Friday.
Pre-District will be this Wednesday, February 21 at Cushing HS. Students must be academically eligible to participate.
7:45 am - Load the trailer
8:05 am - Leave Perkins
8:30 am - Warm-up
9:00 am - Performance and Clinic with judges
10:00 am - Load trailer and come back to Perkins
*We will be back in time for Excel.
**Please wear nice school clothes for this performance.
District Solo & Ensemble Contest
OSSAA District solo and ensemble contest will be on Saturday, March 3 at NOC in Tonkawa. A letter will be given out and emailed home very soon. We will be leaving EARLY that morning. Please be on the lookout for that information if you are performing. Students must be academically eligible to participate.
District Concert Band Contest
The high school band will be performing for OSSAA District Concert Band Contest on Wednesday, March 7 at Cushing HS. Students must be academically eligible to participate.
TBA - Load the trailer and leave
3:30 - Warm-up
3:55 - Stage Performance
4:20 - Sightreading Performance
We will load and come back to Perkins as soon as we have scores and are ready to leave. I hope to be back by 5:30.
*Students will wear their uniforms for this performance, which will consist of: band t-shirt, uniform jacket, uniform pants, LONG, SOLID black socks, and black marching shoes.
**If we qualify to move on to OSSAA State Contest, it will be held the week right after spring break on either Wednesday, March 28 or Thursday March 29 in Ada at East Central University.
The number of students that are showing up on the probation/ineligible list is starting to become overwhelming. As a direct result, it is going to start hurting the ensemble. Almost every student on that list is on there because he or she is not turning in classwork. (Parents, please keep up with your child's grades and help them stay on top of things.) If have zeroes due to not turning in assignments, teachers DO NOT have to give you that work to make up unless you were absent. It is the responsibility of the student to get work completed AND turned in on time. EVERYONE SINGLE STUDENT IS IMPORTANT IN THIS ENSEMBLE AND WE NEED YOU!!
I hope everyone had a wonderful break! When we start back to school on Wednesday, we will have 8:00 rehearsals until further notice. We will continue to sight read several pieces so I can decide on our contest repertoire. Once the decision has been made on contest music, there is a POSSIBILITY of having either having full rehearsals or sectionals at 7:30. I will let everyone know as soon as possible if the decision is made to have any early rehearsals.
Basketball season is upon us. Make sure you have the dates on your calendar for the games we are playing at. These are required performances in casual uniform, unless otherwise stated. WORK IS NOT AN EXCUSE. Homework can be done during the games, as we play before the games and at half-time. You will be dismissed at the conclusion of the half-time of the varsity boys' games. You will need to be in the stands, ready to play, by 6:10pm for each game.
Dates for basketball games are as follows:
Tuesday, January 16
Tuesday, January 23
Friday, February 2 - Homecoming
Tuesday, February 6 - Senior Night
EVERYONE needs to make sure they have a 1/2" black binder and page protectors. You will be receiving new warm-ups, a new set of scale pages, and chorales that you will need to keep in your binder.
SCALE PLAYING TESTS: You will be receiving a new set of scales required for all HS band students. Everyone will be required to play the designated scales by the date listed. If playing tests are not received by the date listed, YOU WILL RECEIVE A ZERO FOR THAT TEST. You may turn any scale in before the designated date.
January 26 - Concert Bb, Eb, F, Ab, C
February 23 - Concert G, D, A, E
March 30 - Chromatic Scale
April 27 - Concert B, Db, Gb
(All tests are due by 9:00pm on each date.)
HONOR BANDS: If you made an honor band, make sure you are working on the music and have measures numbered, accidentals/key signatures marked, etc. Please make sure you are prepared!
January 5 & 6 - NCDA Honor Band at Stillwater High School
OkMEA All-State - January 17 (evening) - 20 at Tulsa Performing Arts Center
Cimarron Valley Concert Band - February 2 & 3 at Cushing High School
OSSBDA All-State Band - February 8 (evening) - 10 at Oklahoma City University
Cimarron Valley Jazz Band - April 5 (evening) - 6 at Cushing High School
Let's make this a great semester!
Here are some announcements concerning the Stillwater Parade of Lights for tomorrow night (Thursday, December 7).
5:15pm - Band room will be open
5:40pm - Students need to be at the band room. Lights should already be on uniforms/instruments by this time.
6:30pm - Band must be in staging area.
7:00pm - Parade begins
8:15pm approx. - Return to Perkins
1. We are entry #41. (Notice where that is in the staging area)
2. The parade should last approximately 30-45 minutes.
3. We will march through the ENTIRE parade route and will come right back to the staging area. IF YOU ARE PICKING UP YOUR CHILD IN STILLWATER, YOU MUST BE AT 11TH & MAIN BY THE TIME WE GET BACK TO THAT AREA. If you are not there, the student will ride back on the buses with us to Perkins. You should have plenty of time to walk down to that are at the conclusion of the parade to meet us. WE WILL NOT WAIT ON PARENTS AND WE WILL NOT ALLOW STUDENTS TO LEAVE WITHOUT A PARENT PRESENT. As soon as we return to 11th & Main, we will head straight to the buses and head back to Perkins. You will need to have the students uniform case and uniform bag before we leave Perkins. There will not be room on the buses for cases and bags.
4. Upon return to the band room, lights will need to be taken off of the uniforms immediately.
5. All students need battery-powered lights and a Santa or Christmas type of hat.
WEATHER: We are going to keep an eye on the weather tomorrow. If we decide not to attend the parade due to the severity of the cold/wind chill, we will make that decision tomorrow afternoon and will send messages out via Remind and email.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Mrs. Cartmell via email or text message.
Good morning! We have wrapped a fantastic marching band contest season and I am so proud of the work the students put into this year's show. It's hard to believe that it's already over, but now we move on to the next adventure.
1. Students will audition for chair placement for concert band. This will audition will include three different parts:
3. NCDA/1st Round OkMEA auditions are THIS Saturday, November 4 at Owasso HS. A separate email will be sent out with information.
4. We will be playing at all football playoff games. The first one will be an AWAY game on November 10. If we win that game, we will play the following week. If we lose, football season is over.
5. We will be working on music for our Veteran's Day Assembly at the high school which will be held on Monday, November 13, at 10:00am in the HS gym.
6. Cimarron Valley honor band auditions (concert and jazz) will be on Saturday, November 18, at Bristow HS. A separate email will be sent with information once we receive it.
7. We will be performing at the Stillwater Parade of Lights on Thursday, December 7. EVERY STUDENT NEEDS A SET OF BATTERY POWERED CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND A SANTA HAT! They can typically be found at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. (They are not always easy to find on the shelf.) LED lights work best.
8. MONDAY, DECEMBER 11 - Band Christmas Concert at 7:00pm in the HS Gym. This concert will feature the Beginning Band, 7/8 Band, and the HS Band as well as the Band Queen and King Coronation Ceremony.
9. Weather permitting, we will plan to play carols at the Old-Fashioned Country Christmas celebration at the Territorial Plaza in Perkins on Thursday, December 14.
Good afternoon! There are MANY things going on over the next couple of weeks. I want to make sure everyone is aware of all of the activities!
1. Friday - Game at Centennial (Taft Stadium)
7. As Mr. Robinson and I told the kids on Monday morning, these next 2 1/2 weeks are critical. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE AT EVERY REHEARSAL EVERY SINGLE DAY! Please refrain from scheduling appointments and other things during rehearsal time until we get through marching season. The weather is not helping us right now and we may lose important, outside rehearsal time due to rain. It is very difficult if everyone is not there, as we have MANY changes to make and things to add to the show.
8. This gets us up to Fall Break. We will not be traveling to the away football game over fall break. Our final regular season game is on October 27 and is senior night. We will also have members of the 8th grade band and members of the OSU Marching Band in the stands with us. It will be a great way to wrap up our marching season!
We have several things going on this week that I want to make all of you aware of.
1. FRIDAY - Home football game against Berryhill.
5:45 - Meet at the band room. Change into FULL uniform. (Band shirts, THIN athletic shorts, jackets, pants, gauntlets, LONG black socks, black marching shoes, black gloves, hats, and plume.) If students do not have gloves, they are $2.25 a pair. You must supply the socks. All students have shoes.
6:25 - March to the stadium. Play at tailgate party on the northeast corner of the gym.
7:00 - Kick-off
9:30(approximately) - Finished for the evening. Students will need to change out of uniform before leaving the band room!
2. SATURDAY - Cherokee Strip Parade in Perry
8:45 - Meet at the band room to load trailer and change into uniform. (Same as Friday night.)
9:00 - Depart for Perry
10:30 - Parade starts
*At the conclusion of the parade, we will give the students the opportunity to eat lunch where all the food vendors are set up downtown, so they will need to bring money for lunch.
*If you need to check out your student after the parade, please see Mr. Robinson or myself before you leave with them. Students may only ride home with their own parents. We cannot allow them to leave with anyone else unless you have prior approval from Mr. McElroy.
1:30 (approximately) - Return to Perkins
3. Fall Fundraiser
Today, we are kicking off our Cherrydale Farms fundraiser. The success of this fundraiser is VITAL to the upkeep of the band program as we receive no funding from the school. It is very expensive to run this program and we rely on fundraisers and donations to be able to do things such as: pay contest fees, purchase music, purchase stands and chairs, purchase supplies, pay school participation fees to be able to participate in honor band auditions/clinics, plus much, much more! Fundraiser forms will be due back by September 20 and we are asking every students to strive to sell 10 items. Money will be due when the items are delivered.
4. All-State Honor Band Auditions
Any 10-12 grade student that would like to audition for all-state honor bands will need to pay their entry fees.
OSSBDA (Small School) All-State Fee - $15 per instrument due by THIS Thursday (9/14)
OkMEA All-State Fee - $15 per instrument due by NEXT Thursday (9/21)
5. Cleaning of Band Uniforms
All band uniforms will need to be dry cleaned REGULARLY throughout the marching season. They MUST be taken to Duffy's Dry Clean City in Stillwater. PLEASE stay on top of this. Last year, MANY uniforms were neglected and were not cleaned enough. Permanent stains are already starting to set in. We need them to last at least 10 more years!! If your child wears it both Friday night and Saturday for the parade, they will need to be cleaned next week. It is supposed to be hot!
Eligibility will begin this week. Students must be passing all classes to stay eligible. IF a student show up on the ineligible list, they cannot participate in any type of contest. Students will be expected to still perform at football games or any performance that is not a contest. I encourage you to REGULARLY check your child's grade online. If you do not know how to do that, please contact the high school office and they can set you up.
Here are a few reminders as we get ready to start school on Thursday!
1. Early morning rehearsals will begin on Thursday, the first day of school, and will start promptly at 7:30am! Remember, punctuality and attendance is part of your grade in band. You must be in your place when the whistle blows or you will be counted as late. IF YOU ARRIVE AFTER THE TARDY BELL RINGS AT 8:15, YOU MUST CHECK IN AT THE OFFICE BEFORE COMING TO CLASS!
2. We will be marching Friday night during half-time at the Cushing game (weather permitting). Uniform for this game will be casual uniform with your most recent black band shirt. 9th graders, if an upperclassmen has an extra, see if you can borrow one of the HS shirts. Otherwise, your MS band shirt will be fine.
We will meet at the HS band room at 5:45pm to load the equipment trailer and depart for Cushing. We will return upon the completion of the game, anywhere from 10:00-10:30pm. Rides need to be at the band room upon our arrival. PLEASE DO NOT PARK ON THE EITHER SIDE OF THE STREET IN FRONT OF THE BAND ROOM. WE MUST HAVE ROOM FOR THE BUSES AND EQUIPMENT TRAILER TO BE UNLOADED!
3. Your first playing test over Work Song/At the End of the Day is due on Thursday, 8/24, by 10:00pm! It must be a video of you playing the opener FROM MEMORY. The easiest way to get it to me is to set up a Google account (if you don't already have one), upload the video to your drive, and email or text me the link. If it is not received by 10:00pm, a late penalty will be assessed to your grade. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! This test has been announced with plenty of time to take care of it in a timely manner.
If you do not turn in a test, you run the risk of not being allowed to perform during half-time or will not be allowed to march during class until the test is turned in. This makes it VERY DIFFICULT for EVERYONE ELSE when you don't do your part!
Below is the updated rubric that will be followed for grading your playing tests.
4. New band shirts: We ran into a few problems getting everything designed in time to get them for the Cushing game. However, we are now ready to go. ALL STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE ONE FREE SHORT-SLEEVE T-SHIRT! (Courtesy of the Band Boosters) I HIGHLY recommend you order a second shirt. You will be wearing these shirts a lot and there will not be extras if you need one. You also have the opportunity to order a long-sleeve t-shirt on this order. That will be all that will be available this time around. We will do another order for other items later. IF YOUR PARENTS OR ANYONE ELSE WOULD LIKE A SHIRT, I MUST HAVE THE ORDERS NOW! Payment is due at the time of the order. I MUST have all orders by FRIDAY, 8/24 in order to have them for our first home game!
Short sleeve shirts - $10 (up to 3XL)
Long sleeve shirts - $20 (up to 3XL)
You may email me sizes and type of shirt needed to: email@example.com
The sooner you do this, the better! :-)
Please let me know if you have any questions!