Beginning Monday, we will start rehearsals at 7:30 a.m. Students will need to arrive the band room by 7:20 in order to get everything ready for rehearsal. Rehearsals will begin PROMPTLY at 7:30. Attendance and punctuality is essential for our rehearsals to run smoothly and efficiently. All students will need a pencil and small memo pad to write down drill instructions. We will start drill on MONDAY!
PLAYING TEST DATES
August 24, Monday: Victory March
August 31, Monday: Land of Make Believe
September 8, Tuesday: Corazón
September 14, Monday: Malagueña
*All playing tests are to be done from memory. Every student, except a few, has had music or online access to music since last spring. They have had AMPLE time to prepare. We are listening for pitch and rhythm accuracy as well as style, dynamics, and expression. Remember, playing tests account for 30% of your overall grade. Students do not need to mark-time while playing.
*Playing tests are due no later than 8 p.m. on each date. If submitted after 8 p.m. for ANY reason, a late penalty will be assessed for each day that it is late. Failure to submit playing tests will result in a student being pulled from the drill until playing tests are complete. Too much time out of drill rehearsals could result in students not being allowed to perform.
*Students can choose how to do their playing tests from several options:
- PREFERRED METHOD: Record yourself playing the assigned music. Upload video to YouTube as a PRIVATE video. Once the video is uploaded, the link to the video must be sent to Mrs. Cartmell. This link must be received BEFORE 8 p.m. on each due date.
- Record yourself playing the assigned music. Place on a flash drive and bring to Mrs. Cartmell by each due date.
- Send your video to my school email or send to me via text message. (Depending on video size, this may or may not work on your phone.) If you text it to me, it is your responsibility to check and make sure I received the video.
- Set up a time with Mrs. Cartmell BEFORE the due date and play for her in person. This will not be done during class time except under extreme situations.
- Percussion students will play for Mrs. Cartmell in person since they do not have access to their instruments at home.
Cherrydale Fundraiser Starts on Thursday!
Our annual fundraiser through Cherrydale Farms will begin this Thursday, August 20. Anyone can place an order online throughout the year. A link is available on the band's homepage. Please make sure you enter the correct group code!
Congratulations to two of our HS Band members, Taylor Cartmell and Ashton Cartmell, for being selected to perform with 2015 National FFA Band. They will attend the National FFA Convention in Louisville during the last week of October. Through this prestigious invitation, they will not only represent the Perkins-Tryon Band and the FFA chapter, but also the state of Oklahoma. This will be Taylor's second and final year to perform with the National FFA Band and Ashton's first year. Way to represent, girls!