Here are some things you need to know:
1. All students will be tested on 4 basic instruments: flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone. After this initial testing, students interested in other instruments, such as saxophone, percussion, horn, euphonium, or tuba, will be tested. (Only a limited number of students will be taken in the saxophone and percussion sections.)
2. After students have finished being tested, we will meet with every student individually to determine what they will be best suited to play. This decision will be based on both testing results and the student’s wishes.
3. On Wednesday, September 7th representatives from Edmond Music Company will come to Perkins to give you the opportunity to purchase/rent instruments. They will be at the Middle School band room from 4:30pm – 6:30pm. You are under no obligation to purchase an instrument from them. They are simply providing a service by “bringing their store” to you. However, all students and/or parent(s)/guardian(s) will need to attend the meeting to purchase the method books and any supplies that the student will need. Any purchase made during this time is a business transaction between you and Edmond Music. Any arrangements for return of the instrument or maintenance needs to be taken care of by the parent(s)/guardian(s), not the director.
A Note of Caution:
We would like to caution and deliver a word of warning to parent(s)/guardian(s) regarding the purchase of any musical instrument. First, we highly recommend that a beginning student rent his/her instrument, rather than purchase. Most music merchants will apply the rental payments towards the purchase of the instruments. They will also provide instrument repair for their customers.
Secondly, we recommend parents NOT BUY an instrument from vendors who are not specifically music merchants. These non-music stores are vendors such as department store catalogs, discount membership warehouses, online purchases, and private party sales (unless we inspect the instrument). On the next page several problems are listed that can exist with these types of purchases.
- The quality of these instruments is generally poor and will cause playing problems for your student.
- Music stores usually will not repair these poor quality instruments.
- When these instruments need repair, the repair can be difficult and more costly than the cost of a quality instrument.
Below, you will find suggested brands to look for when purchasing an instrument. If you find a brand that is not listed, please contact us and let us know what you are looking at.
These are accepted brands that we approve:
Flute: Gemeinhardt, Yamaha, Pearl, Artley, Accent, Emerson
Clarinet: Buffet, Yamaha, Selmer Signet, Vito, Artley, Noblet, Accent
Alto Sax: Selmer, Yamaha, Yanigasawa, Conn, Vito, Cannonball
Trumpet: Bach, Getzen, Conn, Yamaha, King, Accent
Trombone: Bach, Getzen Conn, Yamaha, King, Accent
Percussion: (only on approval from the directors) Ludwig Musser Xylo Kit
Again, please do not purchase any instrument until after the students have been tested during first few days of school. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.
Attached is a document further explaining the details of the instrument rental meeting with Edmond Music Company on Wednesday, September 7th, from 4:30-6:30
Instrument Rental Meeting
Wednesday, September 7th, 2016
4:30pm – 6:30pm
Your student will need an instrument for band class, and it is important that everyone start on a quality instrument. For your convenience, representatives from Edmond Music Company will be at the Middle School band room on Wednesday, September 7th, from 4:30pm-6:30pm, with all of the recommended school-approved instruments necessary for students.
The instruments may be “rented” on a rental-purchase plan (rent to own). This plan makes it possible for you to give your child a chance to enter the band program without a large cash outlay and no commitment to buy.
TO CLEAR UP ANY POTENTIAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
- Parents and students do not need to stay for the entire time. Simply come and go.
- We have a large number of beginning students/parents that will need to complete the rental contract (to be filled out and signed that day). Please be prepared to wait patiently as the store representatives will work through the line as quickly as they can. You may terminate the contract at any time, with no obligation to buy, although rent will apply toward the purchase price if you continue the rental process to the end of the contract.
- On the meeting date, the down payment (listed below) is due. Please make checks payable to Edmond Music.
- They will also have all necessary supplies (books, music stand, etc.) that your student will require.
NEW INSTRUMENT DOWN PAYMENT INFORMATION (costs includes repair/replacement warranty)
This payment includes your maintenance agreement plus tax, and it will also be your monthly payment until the instrument is fully purchased.
You will receive a 20% discount if you purchase the instrument that evening. At any given time, if you pay the instrument off early, you will receive a 20% discount on the remaining balance.
All students will need the following: music stand and instrument book
Brass players will also need: maintenance kit (valve/slide oil will be included)
Woodwind players will also need: reeds and maintenance kit